Saturday, December 4, 2010

downtime

I think I can safely say, it's that time of year . . . us in the wedding industry are shuffling about, leaving our email accounts wide open on our oversized computer screens, waiting for those three beautiful words. New. Client. Inquiry.

It's our downtime.

I get asked quite frequently, so what do you do this time of year? Are you shooting a lot of winter weddings? And while a winter wedding is beautiful, unfortunately, they aren't all that common. So what am I doing this time of year? Here is a lovely little list for you. Check it twice.

1. I have four more weddings to edit, a portrait shoot, and a boudoir shoot. I edit everything in the evening with Christmas music playing in the background, a small lamp turned on next to my computer, and a Christmasy-smelling candle lit.

2. I am falling back in love with the vintage look, be it my photographs, the Anthropologie website, or feathering my hair. Wow, I just admitted that.

3. I just started reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and just the thought of being more happy makes me want to launch my own happiness project.

4. I am practicing The Art of Being Patient. It's my biggest downfall, and it doesn't really go all that well with The Art of Parenting. I suppose I could call it the first chapter in my happiness project!

5. I am trying new recipes. My heart still belongs to Giada and everything Italian, but my Chicken Saltimbocca got cut.

6. I am dreaming about one day having one of those rooms from Pottery Barn that are dedicated 100% to wrapping Christmas presents. You know, the room with the built in wrapping paper wall racks and ribbon cutters and snowflake-patterned lights hanging over the island in the middle and a cup of egg nog (or a glass of pinot) on the counter? Speaking of islands . . .

7. The doctor and I are headed to HAWAII next month! Optometry conferences are the BEST!

So this is my downtime . . . I am slowing down for a little bit, making business changes, learning from past mistakes, following my gut more, and listening to my heart. I get extremely anxious and excited this time of year because I'm a big believer in a fresh start, that each day is a new beginning. My birthday falls on New Year's Eve, so I always gift myself just that . . . that this next year, day by day, will be the best year. And that I am in charge of my happiness.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment