Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 reflections: personal

The original title of this post was 2011 reflections: weddings . . . and it was going to be filled with my favorite images from my wonderful couples of this past year. But I have been diverted. And when I went to write what was on my mind on Facebook, I realized it was far too much, and too long, and so here I am . . . my reflections of a beautiful, inspired, frustrating, amazing year . . . here is what I have learned.

Coming off a night of deep business reflections, the most important thing I know, that I need to remind myself of each and everyday, whether it is a note on my bathroom mirror, or a stamp on my forehead, is that happiness can only be found in the present moment. I am a worrier, I am a planner, and I take things far too personally. I also have a tendency to snowball my thoughts, make assumptions, and react as if what I am thinking about or fearing is actually happening. And I beat my fists and I cry and I get weird looks from Joe and I know in my heart I am being a bit dramatic, but I do it anyway. And in the morning, I wake up and I think, you know better than that. But in the present moment - in the true present moment - all is usually quite well. My children are beautiful and healthy. My partner is supportive, funny and makes me incredibly happy. My friends have been and would be there for me at the drop of a hat. There is money in the bank to keep us warm, fed and clothed, although I wish I could erase the day I was introduced to a pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes . . . in this very moment, life is wonderful.

The biggest business lesson I have learned, as this year comes to an end, is that we are all in this to succeed . . . for some, success comes in the form of seeing a photograph you took in the pages of Martha Stewart Magazine. For some, success comes in the form of simply earning enough money to pay the bills. For me, my own personal success needs to simply be happiness, to be honest with myself about what that means, and to then surround myself with the vendors and clients that help me achieve just that.

I wish you all a beautiful, happy new year, filled with everything you've ever wanted. Take 2012 one day at a time . . . and in each of those days, choose happiness. Choose to be kind, grateful and patient. Choose to be loving and generous. Choose to speak positively. Do not make assumptions. Do not make judgments. Dismiss those who do not support you. Savor every bite, and savor every sip. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment