Friday, September 7, 2012

the art of losing

The process of becoming a professional photographer is an interesting one . . . and lately there are so many quotes, sayings and tidbits floating around the internet that I stumble upon that remind me so much of where I came from in my journey to make this a career. One of the most profound quotes is something along the lines of, The only photographer you should compare yourself to is the one you used to be.
Photobucket
The above photograph was taken recently this past April at a wedding I photographed in Charleston, South Carolina. The clients were from my hometown, and I was so honored they asked me to be a part of their very personal and intimate day, with just their immediate families and dearest friends. I took this image in Pioneer Park, the park where they married, and although it may be a very signature shot of mine, I'm extremely proud of it. I was so proud of it, and so confident in it, that I entered it into a wedding photography contest here in Bozeman, where the 15 semi-finalists' images will be on display during the last Art Walk of the summer. I was excited for entering my very first photo contest, even more excited that it was in the world of all things weddings AND local, and felt in my heart of hearts that I would be okay even if I didn't get selected. Well, I didn't get selected. And you know what? That is completely okay. (Well, it was completely okay after I sulked and pouted a little bit . . . losing sucks!) But in all honesty, I am extremely proud of this photograph. I am not only proud of the composition, but I am proud of how relaxed the couple looks and feels. Walking away from a wedding and hearing my clients tell me how enjoyable that part of the day was for them is one of the biggest compliments I can get. I know when it comes to judging any sort of art contest, or choosing a photographer to capture the moments of your wedding day, that it comes down to what's in your gut and what's in your heart, and art is completely different to each and every person. I am blessed to be where I am, I have made a cajillion mistakes that I remind myself of each day to never do again, I learn ways to avoid making new mistakes, and I am always seeking out how to be not only a better artist creatively, but a better business woman on the back side of things. So cheers to losing . . . but an even bigger cheers for being confident enough to put your work out there for all to see.

1 comment:

  1. This would have been selected, if I had been one of the judges:) You should be very, very proud of yourself - not only for your talent as a photographer but for the person you are. I am very proud to call you my daughter.

    ReplyDelete