Wednesday, January 16, 2013

the engagement session

One of my 2013 brides emailed me recently asking for suggestions on what to wear and where to go for their spring engagement session, and I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to lay some of my ideas out in a blog post for all of you lovely couples wondering the same thing . . . and it lets me share some of my favorite photos, products, and fun little fashion advice! What to wear: I always tell my clients above anything else, choose an ensemble that represents your style, and is something you will feel natural and comfortable in. Go ahead and spend a few dollars on a new outfit, or a simple new piece to add to your wardrobe. I strongly encourage two outfit changes, one casual and one dressy. A few of my favorite websites for absolutely darling clothes at even more darling prices is Vestique and Modcloth. And here is the beautiful Amy in a dress and shoes from Modcloth, worn at her engagement session last spring.
Photobucket
For your casual outfit, skinny jeans, tall boots and scarves are still going strong. The blouses at Vestique are to die for, and their jewelry is gorgeous, too. Another wonderful idea is incorporating a wedding color into your outfit choices. Kate did this with her chartreuse blouse and at her engagement session last year . . . and it also allowed the photos used in their save-the-dates to blend with their design even better.
Photobucket
As far as hair and makeup go, I have become a huge fan of reaching out and having it done professionally - I have been spoiled in seeing how my own face transformed on my wedding day, and how long the look lasted, but more than anything, why not? Indulgence is my go-to place for makeup application, and your own hairdresser can give you a rock star blowout or casual waves in ways we simply aren’t capable of doing in our own bathrooms. With that said, a few of my favorite makeup products that I can’t live without include Lancome Undereye Concealer, Bare Minerals foundation, all-over-face color and mineral veil, Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Bone, Bare Minerals eyeshadows in Greenhouse and Smoky Violet, and Laura Mercier lip glace in Bare Beige (or straight-up Vaseline!). I think most people’s everyday goal with makeup is to look natural, but it’s important to step it up just a touch when photo shoots are involved, and for me that usually means playing up my eyes. It may mean something completely different for you . . . either way, you should feel comfortable, confident and beautiful. And unless you never paint your nails, don’t forget this often overlooked detail. Deep cranberry tones, shades of gray, navy blue, deep purple, and even teal and green are so versatile and fun right now. I tend to be more classic and reach for the red tones, but it’s a fun time to step out of your comfort zone, too. I bought Dior’s nail color in Blue Label and it’s striking!
Photobucket
Location: By now you may know the most important element in choosing the right location is the right light, which for me means it is behind the subject. I always ask my couples first to think about a couple of places that might be meaningful to them . . . maybe where they first got engaged, or a place where they spend a lot of time together. If nothing jumps out to them or they want me to choose, I am happy to do so. I tend to be drawn to open fields, windy roads, hillsides, quirky trees, and also a location where there will be shade. And while it's fun to drive around aimlessly looking for new locations, having a general idea of where we are headed ensures we aren't chasing the sun frantically - and we might even get to it just in time.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I know this post was long-winded, and these tips and suggestions are of course fine-tuned for each couple. An engagement session is usually a wonderful time for a newly engaged couple to enjoy together . . . and I love being a part of them creatively. Happy wedding planning to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment