Saturday, September 11, 2010

timeless

When I first started this business three years ago, I was obsessed. As a night owl, it was no problem for me to hunker over my computer until 2 or 3 o'clock every morning, waking a few hours later to tend to the newborn and keep Ava from massively abusing her new sister. I researched the best equipment, joined every photo forum I could find, downloaded software after software after software. I believed in starting with the best I could possibly charge to my American Express, and a few blog posts later, I was shooting with Nikon's newest D300, my still-to-this-day-madly-beloved 50 mm f/1.4 lens, ceremony-favorite 70-200 mm f/2.8, and kept Photoshop open at all times for those random I must process images now! moments. And although the processing was a fun, creative journey for me, I have discovered the value of less is more.

Every photographer finds their style at some point, and for me, I kinda sorta gag at what I did to my images in the early days. With the power of Totally Rad Actions, I was combining action after action, my goal being to make my images a little different from what everyone else was doing with theirs. Once again, I have come back to my roots. Back to what I know and trust. And I leave a photograph a photograph.

Here is an image straight out of the camera, taken last month at Katie and Casey's wedding in Helena, Montana. It is a little cool to me, and Katie's dress is lost in all the white. As I have said before, I shoot without flash as much as possible, so I'm exposing for skin tones.

Before . . .

Photobucket


After. This is processed first with Totally Rad Actions' Pool Party at 24%, and Kubota Production Tools 2 Clarify Lite.

Photobucket


It's a very slight adjustment, but one I'm happy with, and it remains a photograph that looks as it should in 50 years.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment