Friday, August 5, 2011

what's your style?

A very famous What-To-Ask-Your-Photographer question during an initial potential client meeting is always an interesting one for me to answer . . . Describe your style. Well, I talk a lot. And I think out loud, so I say a lot of stuff that no one else really needs to hear, and I say things that don't even contribute to the conversation whatsoever . . . and then I laugh, and say I'm probably talking too much!, and the potential clients say politely, no, you're fine. But, really, what's your style?

And just to get even wordier, I explain that my style is a good mix of photojournalistic - a phrase most of us know now, and even seek out when searching for a photographer - and editorial. We are searching not just for someone who can give us beautiful portraits to hang on the walls, but also beautiful candids that make our hearts flutter a bit, because such a wonderful, personal moment was captured, when no one was looking.

As an example (I'm getting too wordy again!), here are a few images I would consider photojournalistic. And a very important thing here is that these were all taken during the portrait session of the day. Even when I pose people, I always tell them that some of the best photos are of what is happening in between poses, and it happens when they have their natural reaction to what I am asking them to do. In other words, here are some of my clients laughing at me. : )

Chad and Michelle at Rainbow Ranch:

Photobucket


Leanne and Brian at The Woodlands:

Photobucket


Jennie and Randy at The Story Mansion:

Photobucket


And Nicole and Alex at Chico Hot Springs:

Photobucket


Editorial always needs a bit more explanation. I'm not sure where I decided to start using that term to describe these types of photos, but this style, to me, is about making my couple look and feel - dare I say it? - sexy. It was one of my most memorable comments ever from a couple . . . that no one else can give them images of them that way. They are beautiful, posed images that engage my couples with one another for just a moody, romantic look that reminds you how much you love one another.

Jennifer and Eric at Grassy Mountain Cabins:

Photobucket


Brooke and Brendan at Whiteface Club & Resort:

Photobucket


And Jamie and Bud on the Mayan Riviera, Mexico:

Photobucket


I try and give equal amounts of both styles unless a client requests a different preference - and there are always plenty of posed, traditional portraits as well, as those are just as important (but not as fun to post on my blog ;)

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment