Monday, August 9, 2010

back to good

Oh, blog. It has been so long since I've written when the words just end up on the screen, with few deleted and fewer thought through. It has always been something I've done well, and yet this wonderful business and the editing it entails keeps me from adding what makes it so passionate for me . . . writing. As I sit and edit through hundreds of photographs while the girls make Joe and I birthday cakes in the mud (his was in June, and mine December . . . they are a little late), I can't help but think far, far back to the two things I knew, above anything else, about my business. The first was that I wanted to blog it all. Every photo shoot, every photograph of my girls, every story that had substance. And I did, and it took me to an amazing place. The second thing I wanted, was to simply photograph my couples being them. Interacting, kissing, snuggling, running off into a field and laughing and collapsing with joy, catching their breath. So I did this, and sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. And when it didn't, I would pose them. I was reading blogs like a madwoman, and buying magazines I never read, for ideas, inspiration, and poses. And for some time, my style fell far from photojournalistic, and it fell to editorial. It worked, and my couples were loving how sexy they felt, and how they were getting images of themselves no one else would take. I was elated, and happy, and bringing something new and fresh to their vision. But then, something happened. I fell into a major rut. I was bored with posing, and I was wanting real. So I stepped outside the box I have been living in, pulled a lens I never use for portraits out of my camera bag, and went back to my roots. And it is good. It is very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment